Our downloadable pattern shows you an easy etched version of this mansion. If you want the painted look, don't bother etching! Just carve the areas in solid lines on the pattern, then cut out the mansion from the printed piece of paper, line it up with the carved areas, and trace around it with a pencil. Fill in the traced mansion outline with black paint, and apply a quick mist of varnish to set it.
1. Start with a pumpkin you've hollowed out from the bottom. Tape the printed stencil to the surface of your pumpkin.
2. Use a push pin to create pin pricks along the stencil lines, puncturing the paper and the surface of the pumpkin.
3. To etch the mansion, use a gouging tool to remove the pumpkin's surface skin in the stencil areas contained in dotted lines. (If you'd prefer a painted house, follow our tips above rather than etching.)
4. Use a skinny, serrated knife to carve areas in solid lines on the pattern. Push out cutouts by applying pressure from inside the pumpkin.
5. Light the inside of the pumpkin with a candle.