Unlike its look-alike, this carved pumpkin Golden Retriever won't fetch balls for you. But it will fetch compliments! With its shaggy face and glorious, furry ears, this lifelike Golden Retriever stencil will be loved by everyone in the neighborhood, just like the sweet-natured dog it resembles. Make your own by logging in at BHG.com to download our free stencil.
To create a face this detailed and expressive, it's helpful to have a variety of tools. Feel free to experiment to find the best result! We like using a drill fitted with a teensy bit to create whisker dots and pupil highlights, and an electric etching tool can save time and create beautiful lines, too.
1. Print out the stencil pattern. Use a photocopier to reduce or enlarge the image to fit your pumpkin if needed.
2. Clean out your pumpkin from the bottom, and scrape the side of the pumpkin thinnest where you're planning to carve your design. (About 1" thickness is recommended to make carving easier.)
3. Affix your printed pattern to the pumpkin with clear tape, smoothing out the pattern as you go.
4. Use a large pin tool to pierce holes along the stencil lines, puncturing the paper and the pumpkin skin. Keep pin marks close together, you'll use them as a carving guide.
5. Remove the paper pattern, and etch areas within dotted stencil lines. To etch, use a gouge to scrape away the pumpkin's skin, revealing the rind underneath.
6. Carve areas within solid stencil lines with a thin woodcutting or linoleum knife. Press gently from inside the pumpkin to pop out carved pieces.