Eerie Eyes Pumpkin Stencil
Something is peering at us from the night... But it's hard to tell what! Pitch-black paint cloaks this eerie pumpkin in darkness, highlighting a multitude of glimmering, catlike eyes. Download our free pattern to make your own and set it on your porch at night for a truly uncanny display.
Marbles vary in size, so be sure to resize your stencil accordingly! To resize the stencil, just use a photocopier to reduce or enlarge the eye designs to fit your marbles' diameter. Marbles typically range in size from half an inch to an inch in diameter; we recommend measuring to ensure a perfect fit.
1. Carve a circle in the bottom of your pumpkin and remove the circle by prying it out with your knife. Sweep the pumpkin's interior with your hands to get out as much of the fibrous innards and seeds as possible and use a stiff metal spoon to scrape the pumpkin's inside clean.
2. Print multiple copies of the eerie-eye stencil, and tape them to the side of your pumpkin as desired. Transfer the stencils onto your pumpkin's surface by tracing the design with a push pin. To trace, simply pierce along the stencil lines, creating closely spaced pin holes to outline the design. Remove all stencils.
3. Carve along the pin holes with a sharp serrated crafts knife. Leave eye cutouts in position until you've carved the entire design; to pop the pieces outward, press on them gently from inside the pumpkin.
4. Fill the eye openings with cotton balls and coat the pumpkin with black spray paint. Allow the paint to dry completely and mist it with varnish to set the paint.
5. After your pumpkin has completely dried, remove the cotton balls from the eye openings. Place a battery-operated candle inside the pumpkin for illumination and slip a marble into each eye cavity.