Deer Pumpkin Stencil
Whether you bagged a big one this year or are simply enchanted by a buck's elegant profile, our deer pumpkin stencil beautifully celebrates this graceful animal. And with its back to the harvest moon, this deer's silhouette even looks a little ghostly, too! Carve yours today by downloading our free stencil; just log in to BHG.com to get started.
We almost hesitate to call this deer stencil "carved" -- it's entirely etched! (But etching is a form of carving, so it counts.) For best results when carving this lovely deer, choose a pumpkin that has at least one smooth, flat side to use as your etching "canvas." Round-sided pumpkins work well for simple carving projects, like traditional jack-o'-lanterns, but for detailed etchwork, flat-sided pumpkins are better!
1. Turn your pumpkin on its side to access the bottom of the pumpkin and use a thin, serrated knife to cut a large circle in it. (Tip: Make sure the circle is wide enough to comfortably reach your arm into.) Using your hands or a metal scoop, reach in and clear out the pumpkin innards.
2. Download the free deer stencil and print it out, resizing it with a copier if necessary. Tape the stencil to your pumpkin, pressing down on the paper to smooth it as much as possible.
3. Pierce holes along the lines forming the deer's head, neck, and antlers with a large nail or a long needle tool, keeping pin holes tightly spaced. Remove the stencil after outlining the entire design.
4. Etch the circular area surrounding the deer by peeling off the pumpkin's skin with a gouge. Keep the pumpkin's skin intact in the areas forming the deer.
5. Add a candle to your pumpkin's interior to enjoy the translucent glow.