Skillful etching makes this dachshund's jaw and neck look extra delicate and realistic. Try gouging away the pumpkin's surface in long, sweeping motions, scraping in parallel tracks to mimic jaw lines and skin wrinkles.
1. Hollow out your pumpkin from the bottom (not the top), and tape your printed pattern to the pumpkin's surface.
2. With a pin tool, create closely spaced pin pricks along the stencil lines, piercing through the paper into the pumpkin's skin. Remove the pattern when all lines have been transferred to the pumpkin.
3. With a gouge, scrape away the pumpkin's surface skin in stencil areas surrounded by dotted lines.
4. With a skinny, serrated knife, carve stencil areas surrounded by solid lines. Press gently from inside the pumpkin to pop cutouts outward. Use a small clay tool to touch up any rough spots.
5. Light the pumpkin with an electric candle.