Carving this lovely raven might be the fun part, but finding a good-quality pumpkin beforehand is the most important aspect of ensuring a long porch-life for your creation. Be sure to check pumpkins for hidden soft spots -- a fresh pumpkin will be firm all over, and its stem should be firmly attached.
1. Start with a pumpkin you've hollowed out from the bottom, and tape your printed pattern to the pumpkin surface.
2. Use a pin tool to tap in closely spaced pin pricks along the stencil lines, puncturing the paper into the surface of the pumpkin. Tear off the printed stencil when all lines have been traced.
3. Use a gouging tool to carve the decorative shapes around the window opening, scraping deep enough to reveal the inner rind.
4. Paint the raven black, and allow it to dry.
5. Cut out the opening around the raven with a thin, serrated knife. Retouch paint, if necessary.
6. After paint has dried, lightly mist the raven with varnish to set.