Fancy your British blue's broad, furry face on a jack-o'-lantern? We have just the pumpkin stencil for you! We captured the British blue's slight smile, thick brows, and short, perked-up ears in this fun pumpkin tribute to our favorite cat from across the pond. Just click below to grab our free stencil, then follow our detailed instructions to make your own!
The British blue cat's crowning glory is its fur colorations; its gray-blue coat reveals varied tones and highlights under different lighting conditions. If you really want to strive for authenticity, carve this dusky feline on a gray gourd, like a Jarrahdale pumpkin. Look for pumpkin varieties in interesting shades and patterns at local farms or farmers markets.
1. Sign in to BHG.com to download our free British blue cat pattern. (If you haven't already registered with us, registration is free, too!) Print out the pattern and reduce or enlarge the image to fit your pumpkin, if necessary.
2. Secure the pattern to the outside of your hollowed-out pumpkin with clear tape. Map the pattern onto the pumpkin's surface by punching closely spaced holes along the stencil lines, piercing through both the paper and the pumpkin skin below.
3. Pull off the pattern and keep it beside you for reference. Find pattern areas surrounded by dotted lines and peel off the pumpkin's top layer of skin within these areas with an electric etching tool or gouge.
4. Find pattern areas surrounded by solid lines and carve these areas with a thin, serrated crafts knife. (Hint: Allow cutout sections to remain within the pumpkin wall until you've finished carving the entire design; this decreases the likelihood of accidental breakage.)
5. Brighten your British blue design by placing an LED candle inside the pumpkin cavity.