Boxer Pumpkin Stencil
It's hard not to love a boxer. From their melt-your-heart eyes to their jowly, squared-off jaws, boxers combine dignified looks with all the playfulness of a just-housebroken puppy! Capture everything you love about this friendly breed in this faithful, pumpkin-carved reproduction. Just sign in to BHG.com to grab our free stencil pattern!
Carving intricate designs requires a variety of tools. Look in Halloween stores for carving kits that include skinny, serrated knives designed to cut tight designs. You also can find etching power tools that take the stress out of detailed etchwork. Try different instruments to find what works best for you!
1. Carve a large circle in the bottom of a pumpkin, and use a scoop to clean out the inside. Level the circle cutout with a knife to form a platform for a candle.
2. Attach the printed stencil pattern to your pumpkin with clear tape, smoothing out the pattern before securing.
3. Following the stencil lines, pierce holes through the paper and into the pumpkin skin with a large pin tool. Keep pin holes closely spaced. When the pattern is completely outlined, remove the paper pattern.
4. Etch pattern areas within dotted lines by using a gouge to scrape away the pumpkin's surface skin.
5. Carve pattern areas within dotted lines with a thin, serrated knife.
6. Set a battery-operated candle on your cutout circle platform, and place your carved pumpkin over the top.