Enthusiastic bird-watchers will be all aflutter over our latest pumpkin stencil. We carved and etched a detailed bird design, perching our feathered friend delicately on a branch with head cocked and eyes watching closely. Create your own version today, and watch him as long as you like. We can guarantee you this one won't fly away.
This carved pumpkin bird looks lovely, of course, but would you believe us if we told you it could smell lovely, too? Just before adding a lit candle, sprinkle the pumpkin's interior with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. The scents will mingle with the candle's warmth, forming a sweet, pumpkin-pie-like aroma.
1. Log into BHG.com to download and print the free bird stencil. Tape the stencil to a hollowed-out pumpkin, smoothing down the paper as you tape.
2. With a long pin tool, make closely spaced pin pricks along the stencil lines. Remove the printed pattern.
3. Locate stencil sections within dotted lines, and etch those sections with a gouging tool. To etch, just remove the pumpkin's skin by scraping gently. Be sure not to puncture the pumpkin wall while etching.
4. Locate stencil sections within solid lines, and carve those sections using a skinny, serrated knife. Saw gently along the pin pricks, slowly carving from dot to dot.
5. Keep cutout sections in place until you've finished carving the design, then press gently from inside the pumpkin to pop carved pieces outward.