Spend some time selecting a beautiful pumpkin to act as a canvas for your carved masterpiece. Look for even, solid colors, and don't forget to test the pumpkin's stem to make sure it's firmly attached. If it is, the pumpkin is fresh and won't spoil quickly.
1. Print out the free stencil, enlarging or reducing the size to fit your pumpkin if necessary.
2. Tape the stencil to a pumpkin that has been hollowed out from the bottom. Smooth out the paper before securing.
3. Tap in pin marks with a large pin tool, piercing along the stencil lines. Keep pin holes closely spaced.
4. Remove the paper stencil, and etch the stencil areas surrounded by dotted lines. To etch, use a gouge to remove the pumpkin's surface skin, revealing the rind underneath.
5. Use a thin woodcutting knife to carve stencil areas within the solid lines. Keep cutout sections in place until you've finished carving the design, then press gently from inside the pumpkin to pop pieces out.