Make a Kid's Skunk Halloween Costume
You've never seen such a sweet-smelling skunk as your little mademoiselle in this cuddly costume.
What You Need
- 1/2 yard of black fabric
- White pencil
- Polyester fiberfill
- Black hooded full-zip sweatshirt and pants
- Feather boas: 2 white and 2 black
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- 3/4 yard of striped ribbon
- Scraps of light pink fun fur
- 2 pink silk flowers
How to Make It
- For the tail, fold the black fabric in half widthwise with right sides together. Draw an 18-inch-long petal shape and cut out. With right sides facing and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew the pieces together, leaving the top edge open. Turn the tail right side out and stuff with fiberfill. Hand-sew the tail just above the ribbing to the back of the sweatshirt.
- Draw two triangular ears on a double-layer of black fabric; cut out. Sew the ears together in pairs, leaving the bottom edge open. Turn right side out; stuff with fiberfill. Hand-sew the ears to the top of the hood.
- For the stripe, fold one white boa in half and hot-glue it to the hood and the back of the sweatshirt. Hot-glue a black boa around the attached white boa.
- Cut the ribbon in half and hot-glue one end of each ribbon just below the hood on the sweatshirt fronts. Cut the second white boa in half, and then fold each piece in half. Hot-glue one folded half to each side on the front of the sweatshirt, covering the attached ribbon ends and keeping the feathers free of the zipper.
- Add trim to the bottom of the pants legs, the ears, and the underside of the tail with the second black boa. Hot-glue pink fun fur to the ears. Attach a pink silk flower to each pants leg.