2. Make paper patterns. Use paper to make an oval arm opening pattern, 12 inches high and 6 inches wide. Make a circular 6-inch-diameter neck-opening pattern.
3. Mark/cut neck holes. Fold green felt in half lengthwise as shown on the diagram. Use the patterns to start marking the neck holes 4 inches from the front end at the fold. Leaving 18 inches between neck holes, mark the remaining three neck holes. Cut out the four neck holes.
4. Mark/cut arm holes. For each arm opening, trace around the pattern 4 inches from the neck opening. Cut out the eight arm holes.
5. Form felt. Cut scallops across bottom, from centers of armholes as shown in the diagram. Cut front into a vest shape and angle the back to create the look of a tail.
6. Sew on buttons. Overlap front vest pieces and secure by sewing on large buttons. Stitch back seam.
7. Cut, attach black strips. Cut eight 4x24-inch strips from black felt. Glue strips below armholes, trimming to match the bottom scallop.
8. Cut, attach markings. Cut six 8 1/2-inch circles from pink felt using pinking shears. Use the caterpillar-marking pattern to cut six shapes from yellow felt using scissors. Glue the cutouts as shown, above right.
9. Make leader's hat. For antennae, wrap chenille stems around a headband. Glue pom-poms to ends of two stems and wrap around sides of headband. Place over the hat of the leader.