continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cover work surface with newspaper. Blow up 9-inch balloon and tie off in a knot.
- Cut twenty 6-foot pieces of black yarn.
- Mix together equal portions of glue and water; mix well.
- Dip a piece of yarn into mixture and soak thoroughly, making sure not to tangle the yarn. Pull out and gently squeeze off excess glue by running yarn between index finger and thumb.
- Wrap the yarn around the balloon in an irregular pattern.
- Continue with remaining yarn pieces, tucking in the end of each piece beneath the yarn layers.
- Tie a length of string around the balloon knot. Hang up balloon and let dry completely. (Put newspaper under the balloon to catch any drips.)
- Once the glue is completely dry, pop the balloon and use tweezers to pull out the deflated balloon and any glue residue between yarn pieces.
- Hot-glue plastic spiders to the web, and tie a piece of string to the top to use as a hanger.