- Download the free coffin diagram and RIP trim diagram. Using a pencil, tape measure, and straightedge, measure and mark all pieces for the coffin on the plywood sheets. Cut out with the circular saw.
- Lay the bottom piece of the coffin on the black felt, and using a rotary cutting tool, cut the felt along the outline of the bottom. Cut out the shape and set aside.
- To assemble the coffin, nail wood cleats to the inner sides of the coffin at the height you want the coffin bottom to rest. Glue the side panels at the corners and secure with nails. Insert the bottom piece on top of the cleats and secure with glue and nails.
- Roll the remainder of the felt yardage along the sides of the coffin. Starting at a corner and smoothing with your hands as you go, staple the felt to the inside bottom edges of the coffin and the outside underneath. Cut off excess from the bottom and inside with scissors.
- Take the bottom felt shape and lay it in the coffin, turning the raw edges under to fit snugly against the coffin sides and hide the staples. Glue the felt to the inside bottom. Attach nailhead trim with nails and hammer along the top and bottom outside edges of the coffin. Add a vertical strip of trim about 1-1/2 inches from both sides of each corner.
- Using the downloaded diagram as a pattern, lay out nailhead trim over the letters in double rows. Transfer your design to the coffin side; nail in place.
- Squirt a small dot of black crafts paint onto a paper plate or paper towel. Dab a dry stencil brush into the paint and brush the excess onto the plate. Stipple black paint onto nailhead trim for an aged patina. Wipe off excess; let dry.
Download the free coffin diagram.
Download the free RIP trim diagram.