1. Download and print the free pattern.
2. Lightly hand-sand the pine using the sandpaper. Using a large flat brush and B, base-coat the front and sides; let dry.
3. Enlarge the downloaded pattern onto tracing paper. Using graphite paper and a pencil, transfer outlines of the ground that Jack sits on, the ground highlights, Jack, and Jack's hat to the painted pine.
4. Paint the ground with FM and the ground highlights with FO. Paint Jack with TC. Let dry.
5. Using graphite paper and a pencil, transfer the outlines for the eyes, nose, and mouth. Paint the eyes and mouth with CB. Let dry. Using the graphite paper, transfer irises and pupils. Paint the irises with FO.
6. Using a thin paintbrush, paint teeth lines with B. Paint the pupils and the nose with B. Paint mouth outline with BC.
7. Add a bit of B and BU to BG to darken it; use to paint the hat. Let dry.
8. Using a pencil, lightly draw stripes on the hat, and paint them with CB.
9. Using BU thinned with water, add shadows around Jack, his hat, and the hat stripes. Using BC thinned with water, paint the cheeks.
11. Using sandpaper, lightly hand-sand the painted surface to distress the piece.
12. With the electric sander, heavily sand the edges at an angle to remove excess paint and create a beveled edge around the piece. Wipe off sanding dust with a lint-free cloth.
13. Spray piece with the wood finish. Wipe off excess and let dry.