What You'll Need
- Textured brown paper or brown construction paper
- Black paper
- Adhesive tape
- Large-eye needle
- White floral cloth wire
- Glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Red gemstones
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Cut out the body, tail, and ear patterns from textured brown paper (or construction paper).
- Cut ear slashes as noted on the pattern. Fold the darts as indicated on the pattern; tape the darts on the inside to secure. Tape the tail to the underside.
- Cut a 2-x3-1/2-inch rectangle from brown paper.
- Center the rectangle crosswise on the underside of the body and tape along the center.
- Wrap and tape the paper around rolled candy (such as Life Savers), holding the candy in place.
- Fold the ears in half and slip into the ear slashes; tape in place on the inside of the rat.
- Cut a small black square of paper for the nose; glue in place.
- Use a large-eye needle to poke a hole on each side of the nose for whiskers.
- Thread two 4-inch pieces of white floral cloth wire through the holes; curl the ends.
- Hot-glue 1/4-inch-diameter red gemstones in place for eyes.