1. Add wax shapes. Carefully peel off the stickers or wax shapes from the paper. Position them gently on the ornament, pressing in place until they adhere.
2. Add ribbon, trim ends. Add a ribbon hanger to the ornament top. Trim the ribbon ends.
2. Gently wash and dry the glass ornament. Avoid touching the areas on the ornament that will be painted.
3. Paint the word "Boo" and the exclamation point in black. Use the pattern (see above for downloading directions) as a guide. Let the paint dry.
4. Add accents, let paint dry. Add the colored accents as shown. Be certain to leave a black border. Let the paint dry.
5. Use needle-nose pliers to curl the ends of the solder. Form one end over the "B" on the ornament and carefully wrap the ornament top with the solder. Glue the solder in place. Let the glue dry. To hang, use the top solder loop or add a ribbon.
What You Need
- Clear glass round ornament
- White vinegar
- Tracing paper
- Carbon paper
- Contact paper (available at discount, hardware, and home center stores)
- X-Acto knife (available at art and crafts stores)
- Spoon for burnishing
- Rubber gloves
- Etching cream (available at crafts stores)
- Paintbrush with natural bristles or a sponge brush
- Natural raffia
2. Clean glass, trace pattern. Clean the glass with hot water and white vinegar. Important: Avoid fingerprints on areas to be etched. Using tracing paper, trace the pattern.
3. Trace, cut, adhere pattern, and burnish. Place carbon paper between the tracing and self-adhesive paper. Trace the pattern onto the self-adhesive paper. Cut out shapes using an X-Acto knife and remove the pieces. Stick the self-adhesive paper pattern on the ornament, clipping the edges as necessary so the paper lies flat. Burnish (rub down) the paper using a spoon.
4. Paint with etching cream. Put on rubber gloves. Paint on the etching cream following the manufacturer's instructions for use and timing. (Note: Set wet ornaments on top of a glass or napkin ring to keep them from rolling around.)
- Use this same technique on a rose bowl and fill with candy for a special Halloween gift.
- For additional Halloween motifs, try etching bats, cats, and ghosts on your glass ornaments.