What You'll Need
- 2-inch-thick 24-x-36-inch STYROFOAM brand foam sheets
- Rotary carving tool
- Styro Wonder Cutter Plus
- Foam saw
- Wood file
- Shrink-free spackle
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Repositionable spray adhesive
- Dark Gray interior latex paint in flat finish
- Foam trim roller
- Krylon Make It Stone Textured Paint, Charcoal Sand #18202
- Krylon Acrylic Crystal Color, Forest Green #1297
- Delta Ceramcoat acrylic crafts paints, Candy Bar Brown #02407, Metallic Red Copper #02605, Black #02506, White #02505, and Avalon Blue #02418
- Natural sponge
- Household trim brush
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Enlarge pattern of choice to desired size on a photo copier or at a copy center. Cut out pattern and trace onto foam sheet using a permanent marker. Use a foam saw to cut out shape. Use a wood file to round all edges and create a timeworn look.
- To embed a fake skull, use the Wonder Cutter to cut a skull shape out of the tombstone. Push the skull through the tombstone, cutting more away as necessary. Fill with shrink-free spackle.
- To add cracks to your tombstone, cut away a portion with the Styro Wonder Cutter, then score an indentation where the crack ends.
- For lettering, choose a font, type in desired words, then print to your desired size. Cut words apart, and apply to the tombstone with repositionable spray adhesive. Then carve out the letters, using either a rotary tool with a round chuck or the Styro Wonder Cutter.
- To create the basic stone look, use the household trim brush to push Black paint into all carved areas and cracks. Let dry.
- Use a foam trim roller to base-coat the entire tombstone with Dark Gray latex paint. Spray a light coat of Charcoal Sand. A variety of stone finishes can be achieved after the basic stone finish is applied.