Plant This English-Style Front Yard Garden Plan for Absolutely Breathtaking Curb Appeal
Turn heads with this exuberant mix of colorful annuals and perennials.
Cottage gardens usually feature a colorful assortment of plants presented in a naturalistic disarray, sometimes with clear pathways, sometimes without. This English-style front yard garden plan captures the essence of a cottage garden, but organizes the mix of plants along both sides of a decorative white picket fence that can run parallel to a sidewalk or driveway. It's packed easy-care annuals, perennials, and a hydrangea that bloom in a pleasing mix of pink, blue, purple, and yellow. This design will have something in bloom from spring into fall, especially if you give the planting bed regular watering and remove the spent blooms.
Plants for Creating the English-Style Front Yard Garden Plan
- 1 Smooth hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle'): Zones 4-9
- 4 Garden cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatus): Annual
- 7 Checkerbloom (Sidalcea malviflora ‘Party Girl’): Zones 5-9
- 7 Snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus): Annual
- 5 Milky bellflower (Campanula lactiflora): Zones 5-7
- 6 Speedwell (Veronica spicata ‘Sunny Border Blue’): Zones 3-8
- 1 Peony (Paeonia lactiflora): Zones 2-8
- 5 Asiatic lily (Lilium ‘Cote d’Azur’): Zones 4-8
- 1 Variegated hosta: Zones 3-9
- 5 Scarlet sage (Salvia splendens): Annual
- 9 Floss flower (Ageratum houstonianum): Annual
- 6 Asiatic lily (Lilium ‘Connecticut Yankee’): Zones 4-8
- 3 Garden phlox (Phlox paniculata): Zones 4-8
If you aren't able to find the exact cultivars listed above, substitute with others that have similar colors, shapes, and sizes. And because some plants can become overly aggressive and spread out of control in certain climates, always check which species are considered invasive in your area before planting.
Get the Free English-Style Front Yard Garden Plan
The garden plan for this design includes an illustrated version of the planted garden, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to all garden plans, available as printable PDFs.