This Fabulous Fall Garden Plan Will Look Vibrant All Season Long
Create a vibrant burst of color in your landscape with a selection of late-blooming perennials.
When summer fades into autumn, your yard doesn't have to fade, too. This fabulous fall garden plan uses late-blooming perennials that almost seem to glow with bright hues before the more muted tones of winter set in. These include vivid red mums with yellow centers and three varieties of asters in complementary yellow and bronze tones, plus contrasting shades of blue and white. This design relies not only on flowers to add color to the landscape but also on foliage like the silvery gray of lamb’s ears and the cool hues of blue fescue. Situate this garden bed in a full-sun spot, where you can admire all the dazzling colors until frost.
Plants for Creating the Fabulous Fall Garden Plan
- 3 Veronica spicata (‘Goodness Grows'): Zones 3-8
- 1 Yarrow (Achillea ‘Moonshine’): Zones 4-8
- 4 Chrysanthemum (‘Foxy Natasha’): Zones 5-9
- 2 New England aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae 'Purple Dome’): Zones 4-8
- 1 Dwarf white aster (Symphyotrichum): Zones 4-8
- 4 Goldenrod (Solidago ‘Fireworks’): Zones 5-9
- 1 Blue fescue (Festuca glauca ‘Elijah Blue’): Zones 4-8
- 1 Lamb's ears (Stachys byzantina ‘Helen von Stein’): Zones 4-8
- 1 New England aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae ‘Alma Pötschke’): Zones 4-8
If you aren't able to find the exact cultivars listed above, substitute with others that have similar colors, shapes, and sizes. And because some plants can become overly aggressive and spread out of control in certain climates, always check which species are considered invasive in your area before planting.
Get the Free Fabulous Fall-Garden Plan
The garden plan for this design includes an illustrated version of the planted garden, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to all garden plans, available as printable PDFs.