A mail-order picket fence section anchors the planting. The triangular planting bed nestles snugly into the yard's sidewalk-defined angle and adds more than curb appeal to the corner property. The quick-color display also effectively deters pets and pedestrians from cutting the corner and wandering through the yard.
Packed with sun-loving bloomers, the garden features a mix of easy-growing annuals punctuated with just a few perennials. A tall butterfly bush fills the corner with deep purple flowers that butterflies can't resist. Hummingbirds also love to visit the petunia, cosmos, zinnia, cleome, and penstemon (a perennial). At dusk, stroll by this garden for a whiff of sweet perfume from the flowering tobacco, butterfly bush, and petunia.
Most of this garden's color faces the street, so it enhances the street view. To add more color on the back side to improve views from indoors, simply duplicate some of the plant combinations in front of the cleome.
Stairstep the plant heights so the cleome isn't upstaged. Add a few stepping-stones or pavers to allow easy access into the bed for planting and deadheading. Trade turf for blooms in a carefree corner cottage garden.
Our free Planting Guide for this garden includes an illustrated version of the plan, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. (Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to Planting Guides for all garden plans.)
Garden Size: 11 x 11 feet
- 9 Moss rose (Portulaca grandiflora): Zones 9–11; annual elsewhere
- 9 Narrow-leaf zinnia (Zinnia angustifolia): Annual
- 12 Dusty miller (Senecio cineraria 'Silver Dust'): Zones 8–11; annual elsewhere
- 2 Petunia × hybrida: Annual
- 6 Flowering tobacco (Nicotiana alata): Annual
- 12 Cosmos bipinnatus: Annual
- 4 Gloriosa daisy (Rudbeckia hirta 'Irish Eyes'): Zones 3–7 (often grown as annual)
- 2 Feather reedgrass (Calamagrostis × acutiflora): Zones 4–9
- 3 Penstemon 'Maurice Gibbs': Zones 7–10; annual elsewhere
- 1 Butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii 'Nanho Blue'): Zones 5–9
- 7 Spider flower (Cleome hassleriana 'White Queen'): Annual
- 1 Speedwell (Veronica 'Fairytale'): Zones 4–8