No-Fuss Sun-Loving Garden Plan
This garden stays looking great, no matter how hot the weather gets. Follow this garden plan for a low-maintenance bed with the best hot-weather plants.
You don't need to be limited to geraniums to have a successful garden in a sunny spot. There are tons of flowering plant varieties with different heights, shapes and growing patterns that thrive in the sun. By combining them in a methodical way, you can outfit a difficult sunny flower bed with multiple colors and textures that will last all summer. The combination of bright yellows, purples, and pinks in this garden will give any garden eye-catching color.
This garden plan will fill a 13x11-foot garden but can be adjusted to fit the space available in your landscaping. The back layer of this vignette is built with hollyhock, butterfly bush, and Russian sage. The tall spires of flowers add height that will do well against a fence or wall. Tickseed, blazing stars and pink coneflowers serve as mid-height layering plants with bright color. The spaces around the edges of the garden plan are filled with low-growing lavender, sedum, and asters for a lush and polished finish.
Free Garden Plan
Our free Planting Guide for this garden includes an illustrated version of the plan, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. (Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to Planting Guides for all garden plans.)
This mix of perennial flowers will give your garden a beautiful burst of hot-weather color in a sunny spot.
Garden Size: 13 x 11 feet
- 1 New England aster (Aster novae-angliae ‘Purple Dome’): Zones 4–8
- 3 Thread-leaved tickseed (Coreopsis verticillata ‘Zagreb’): Zones 4–9
- 2 Coneflower (Echinacea purpurea ‘Magnus’): Zones 3–9
- 1 Hollyhock (Alcea rosea): Zones 3–9
- 3 Blazing star (Liatris spicata ‘Floristan Weiss’): Zones 4–9
- 1 Butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii ‘Black Knight’): Zones 6–9
- 1 Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia): Zones 5–9
- 1 Sedum 'Autumn Joy’: Zones 3–10
- 1 Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia): Zones 5–8