This Easy-Care Island Bed Garden Plan Looks Gorgeous from Every Angle
Big stretches of lawn can look a little ho-hum. To break up the monotony, try this easy-care island bed garden plan that's designed to look beautiful, no matter which side it's viewed from. A small ornamental plum tree anchors the planting, producing stunning pinkish white double blossoms in spring, plus it has pretty fall foliage. A dwarf weigela complements the floral show with its own pink spring blooms. The surrounding perennials and groundcovers add seasonal splashes of color, with an emphasis on pink and yellow and a touch of blue from bellflowers. Three optional varieties of bulbs further enhance the pink and yellow theme. The plants in this design bloom best in full sun but will tolerate light shade.
Plants for Creating the Easy-Care Island Bed Garden Plan
- 1 Princess Kay plum (Prunus nigra ‘Princess Kay’): Zones 3-8
- 1 Weigela (Weigela florida ‘Minuet’): Zones 4-8
- 2 Snakeweed (Persicaria bistorta ‘Superbum’): Zones 4-8
- 3 Evening primrose (Oenothera missouriensis or O. macrocarpa): Zones 4-8
- 3 Barrenwort (Epimedium x rubrum ‘Sulphureum’): Zones 4-8
- 2 Golden columbine (Aquilegia chrysantha): Zones 3-8
- 4 Bellflower (Campanula carpatica ‘Blue Clips’): Zones 3-8
- 5 New York aster (Symphyotrichum novi-belgii ‘Wood’s Pink’): Zones 4-8
If you aren't able to find the exact cultivars listed above, substitute with others that have similar colors, shapes, and sizes. And because some plants can become overly aggressive and spread out of control in certain climates, always check which species are considered invasive in your area before planting.
Get the Free Easy-Care Island Bed Garden Plan
The garden plan for this design includes an illustrated version of the planted garden, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to all garden plans, available as printable PDFs.