Hot-Summer Garden Plan
Maintenance is a breeze with this heat-resistant, high-color garden plan. Follow our guide to get the look in your green space.
Beat the heat with this bright and happy summer garden plan. Hot-weather plants, including some tropical varieties, will give any corner of the yard attractive color. You won't see any blues or purples here—warm toned flowers give this plan a cohesive look. Plants of different heights and shapes add unbeatable texture, while tall plumes of maiden grass soften the arrangement.
Madagascar periwinkle creates a sea of pale pink that lines the front of the garden bed. Yellow and red annuals bookend the periwinkle, followed by Black-eyed Susans for a bold endcap with dark centers. Bearded irises and bright red cannas add drama to the display, and multi-colored zinnias fill in the bed with dense blooms.
Free Garden Plan
Our free Planting Guide for this garden includes an illustrated version of the plan, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. (Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to Planting Guides for all garden plans.)
Keep your yard looking fantastic all summer long with this high-impact, low-care garden plan. It features a variety of summer favorites.
Garden size: 5x14 feet
- 9 Scarlet sage (Salvia splendens): Annual
- 2 Tall bearded iris (Iris spp.): Zones 3–9, depending on species
- 2 Canna (‘Tropicanna’): Zones 8–11; Annual
- 7 Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus): Zones 9–11; Annual
- 9 Zinnia spp.: Zones 6–9
- 2 Variegated oregano: Annual
- 3 Eulaliagrass (Miscanthus sinensis ‘Morning Light’): Zones 4–9
- 4 Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta): Zones 3–7
- 6 Melampodium paludosum: Annual