This Deer-Resistant Garden Plan Features a Gorgeous Mix of Long-Lasting Blooms
Yes, you can enjoy a colorful landscape, even with deer around. Just use this design, filled with plants the critters tend to avoid.
Deer may look cute but they can wreak havoc in a garden. If you have a herd that sees your yard as a salad bar, you've got to get creative to keep the hungry critters from snacking on your plants. Selecting varieties that are lower on Bambi's menu is one effective strategy, and luckily, there are plenty of pretty, low-maintenance options. This deer-resistant garden plan features several blooming perennials that have a scent or texture that the animals don't like. The design contrasts the purple blooms of Russian sage, globe thistle, iris, and lamb's ears with warm yellow flowers of spurge and yarrow, accented by the warm orange flowers of potentilla. The low-growing foliage of artemisia and thyme gives the front of the bed a clean finish.
Plants for Creating the Deer-Resistant Garden Plan
- 4 'Silver Mound' artemisia (Artemisia schmidtiana), Zones 4-8
- 3 Creeping thyme (Thymus praecox ‘Albiflorus’), Zones 4-9
- 3 Lamb’s ears (Stachys byzantina), Zones 4-9
- 4 Cushion spurge (Euphorbia polychroma), Zones 3-10
- 2 Variegated sweet iris (Iris pallida ‘Variegata’), Zones 4-9
- 1 Fernleaf yarrow (Achillea filipendulina ‘Gold Plate’), Zones 3-9
- 2 Potentilla (Potentilla fruticosa ‘Sunset’), Zones 2-7
- 3 Globe thistle (Echinops bannaticus ‘Blue Glow’), Zones 5-9
- 2 Peony (Paeonia ‘Krinkled White’), Zones 4-8
- 3 Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia), Zones 4-9
If you aren't able to find the exact cultivars listed above, substitute with others that have similar colors, shapes, and sizes. And because some plants can become overly aggressive and spread out of control in certain climates, always check which species are considered invasive in your area before planting.
Get the Free Deer-Resistant Garden Plan
The garden plan for this design includes an illustrated version of the planted garden, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to all garden plans, available as printable PDFs.