Annual Garden for Full Sun
Enjoy a full season of continuous color for any sunny spot in your yard. Try these sun-loving annuals and follow our garden plan for a knock-out garden.
There are tons of varieties of annuals, all coming in different sizes, colors, and textures. What better way to brighten up a sunny corner of the yard with a pretty arrangement of sun-loving plants. Every color is represented in this garden plan, so there's something for everyone.
Annuals for sun can be planted by seed or can be purchased at the nursery and transplanted for faster results. You could call them "instant gratification" purchases since you can buy them, take them home, plant them, and have a gorgeous and colorful garden on the same day. This is a one-season-only garden, but a few of the plants for full sun may reseed, giving you more time to enjoy your favorite varieties.
For this garden design, you will need a plant support structure for morning glory to climb up in the center of the bed. This will serve as the focal point, adding height and deep color. Globe amaranth and snapdragons, plants that like full sun, help to taper the plant heights on either side of the trellis. Lower-growing flowers for full sun create a soft border around the outside.
Free Garden Plan
Our free Planting Guide for this garden includes a larger version of the illustration, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. (Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to Planting Guides for all garden plans.)
Annual gardens are fun, simple and provide brilliant color throughout the summer. Annual flowers for sun are best planted in waves or groups of like plants for the best color displays.
Garden size: 18x6 feet
- 16 Sweet Alyssum (Lobelaria maritime 'Pastel Carpet'); Alternative Plant: Dianthus 'Queen of Hearts'
- 16 Globe Amaranth (Gomphrena globosa 'Bicolor Rose'); Alternative Plant: Cosmos bipinnatus 'Sonata'
- 16 Sage (Salvia splendens 'Blue Wonder'); Alternative Plant: Cockscomb (Celosia argentea 'Geisha')
- 16 Marigold, dwarf (Tagetes patula 'Jane' or 'Lemondrop'); Alternative Plant: Dusty Miller 'Diamond' (Senecio cineraria)
- 16 'Cooler Deep Orchid' Catharanthus roseus; Alternative Plant: Ageratum 'Blue Lagoon' (Ageratum houstonianum)
- 16 Snapdragon (Antirrhinum majus 'Orlando Deep Bronze'); Alternative Plant: Snapdragon 'Rocket' strain
- 16 'Double Madness' (Petunia x hybrid 'Double Madness – Lavender'); Alternative Plant: Petunia 'Tidal Wave'
- 4 Morning Glory (Ipomoea ssp. 'Heavenly Blue'); Alternative Plant: Black-Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia alata)