Island Bed 2
Break up your perfectly-groomed yard with an island garden bed that looks good from every angle. This garden plan relies on a plum tree for height and to-die-for color.
One small, ornamental tree and a flowering shrub give this island bed year-round character. The surrounding perennials and groundcovers add seasonal splashes of color and texture. Plants have been chosen for their soft, delicate, and warm appearances. The color palette emphasizes pink and yellow with a touch of blue. Three optional varieties of bulbs provide a cheerful welcome to spring. The plants in this garden bloom best in full sun but will tolerate a bit of shade.
Related: Beautiful Bulb Combinations
Free Garden Plan
Our free Planting Guide for this garden includes an illustrated version of the plan, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. (Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to Planting Guides for all garden plans.)
This garden plan relies on simplicity to make a statement. The extreme levels (groundcovers and a tree) create a striking display.
Garden size: 8 x 16 feet
Related: Our Favorite Small Trees
- 1 Princess Kay Plum (Prunus nigra ‘Princess Kay’)
- 1 Minuet Weigela (Weigela florida ‘Minuet’)
- 2 Snakeweed (Persicaria bistorta ‘Superbum’)
- 3 Evening Primrose (Oenothera missouriensis or O. macrocarpa)
- 3 Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata ‘Chameleon’)
- 1 Golden Columbine (Aquilegia chrysantha)
- 4 Blue Clips Bellflower (Campanula carpatica ‘Blue Clips’)
- 5 Wood’s Pink Aster (Aster novi-belgii ‘Wood’s Pink’)
Related: 17 Top Daffodils