Deer-Resistant Garden Plan
This garden plan features a host of easy-growing, deer-resistant perennial flowers so you can enjoy a beautiful landscape, even when there are herds of deer around. Follow our free garden plan to get the look in your yard.
Deer Resistant Garden Illustration
Create a sustainable garden by choosing the right plants for the job. Garden pests, especially deer, often chew off the foliage or colorful blooms of your favorite garden plants. Luckily, there are many species that deer will avoid. Create a lush garden bed with shades of yellow, purple and silver with deer-resistant plant options for a design you know will remain untouched.
The tall spires of Russian sage serve as a dramatic back layer to this arrangement. Globe thistle repeats the deep purple hue but adds a rounded texture. Pops of yellow come from spurge and yarrow, and the low-growing foliage of artemisia and thyme gives the front of the design a clean finish.
Related: Tips for Deterring Deer
Free Garden Plan
Our free Planting Guide for this garden includes a larger version of the illustration, a detailed layout diagram, a list of plants for the garden as shown, and complete instructions for installing the garden. (Free, one-time registration allows unlimited access to Planting Guides for all garden plans.)
Garden size: 12x14 feet
- 4 'Silver Mound' artemisia (Artemisia schmidtiana), Zones 4–8
- 3 Creeping thyme (Thymus praecox ‘Albiflorus’), Zones 4–9
- 3 Lamb’s ears (Stachys byzantina), Zones 4–9
- 4 Cushion spurge (Euphorbia polychroma), Zones 3–10
- 2 Variegated sweet iris (Iris pallida ‘Variegata’), Zones 4–9
- 1 Fernleaf yarrow (Achillea filipendulina ‘Gold Plate’), Zones 3–9
- 2 Potentilla (Potentilla fruticosa ‘Sunset’), Zones 2–7
- 3 Globe thistle (Echinops bannaticus ‘Blue Glow’), Zones 5–9
- 2 Peony (Paeonia ‘Krinkled White’), Zones 4–8
- 3 Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia), Zones 4–9