6 Pet-Friendly Holiday Houseplants to Celebrate The Season Safely
The most wonderful time of the year can quickly turn into a nightmare before Christmas if your dog or cat ingests a houseplant that's toxic to pets. "Symptoms from ingesting poisonous plants include vomiting, diarrhea, irritation of mouth and tongue, incoordination, difficulty swallowing, increased salivation, and difficulty breathing," says Lora LaBranche, DVM, the vice president of veterinary operations for Vet's Best Friend. "Depending on which plant and how much is ingested, death is possible." Unfortunately, there are a handful of popular holiday houseplants that can be dangerous to your beloved pet. Some common harmful houseplants (that you might have in your home right now) include: pine tree, amaryllis, holly, and mistletoe.
The good news is that there are colorful, easy-to-care-for houseplants that are completely safe for your pet to be around, and they're perfect for the holidays and beyond. And should a furry friend come into contact with a toxic plant, act quickly to ensure your pet survives. "If your pet ingests a poisonous plant or exhibits symptoms, take them to the veterinarian immediately for treatment," LaBranche says. "It is advised that you avoid owning houseplants that are poisonous to pets, but if you do have them, keep them away from your pets and routinely check them to make sure the leaves aren't being chewed."
To keep your pets happy and healthy and to help you have a stress-free holiday season, shop these holiday houseplants that are all pet-friendly.