Have all the herbs you need in one container. Follow these six quick steps to complete this mini herb garden in under an hour.
1. Lemon Thyme (Thymus citriodorus)
2. 'Crimson King' Basil (Ocimum basilicum 'Crimson')
3. Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
4. Variegated Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
5. Purple sage (Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens')
6. 'Goodwin Creek Grey' Lavender (Lavender lavandula 'Goodwin Creek Grey')
7. Golden Sage (Salvia officinalis 'Icterina')
8. 'Mini Blue' Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Use a wood seed flat or a similar 12x12x4-inch wood box for the container. If the box is watertight, drill several small drainage holes in the bottom. Fill the box with sterile potting soil. Gently level the soil, filling to 1 inch from the top.
To create the thyme topiary tree, strip the bottom leaves from the lower half of each stem of a young variegated lemon thyme. Gather the stems together, tying them into a bundled "trunk" with floral wire. Plant the topiary tree in the center of the container.
Plant herbs in each corner of the container, pressing the soil firmly against the roots. When the plants are arranged to your liking, re-level the soil, smoothing it in place and removing excess soil as needed. Water the plants gently.
Trace diagonal lines for the path with a finger. Carefully cover the path with pebbles about 1⁄2 inch deep. Gently press the pebble paths into place.