How to Hang Curtains
Hanging curtains is easy with our tips and tricks. Our instructions make a quick job of measuring and installing these simple yet stunning window treatments.
Curtains are a must for dressing windows. They provide privacy, usher in sunlight, and contribute texture and color. Learn how to hang curtains in every room of your home with our easy step-by-step installation instructions.
What You'll Need
To hang curtain panels, you'll need the following supplies:
- A curtain rod with brackets
- Tape measure
- Optional: wall anchors
How to Measure Curtain Panels, Brackets, and Rods
Wondering where to hang curtain rods? Take these simple measurements to ensure perfect curtain placement.
- Measure the height from the floor to the top of your window frame to determine the curtain length you'll need. Curtains should just touch the floor or pool slightly.
- Determine where you'll hang your curtain rod based on the length of your curtains. You'll want to position curtain brackets so your rod is about six inches above your window frame.
- Measure the depth of your window to determine the size of your curtain brackets. You'll want curtain brackets that extend past the depth of your window molding. If they're too shallow, your curtains won't hang properly.
- For the best look, make sure each curtain panel is at least as wide as your window.
How to Hang Curtain Brackets
After you've finished taking measurements, it's time to hang the curtain rod. To do so, you'll need to first install the curtain brackets:
- Measure up to the height of your curtain panels. From there, use a pencil and tape measure to mark curtain bracket placements six inches from the outside edge of the window frame to allow plenty of natural light.
- Use a screwdriver to install curtain brackets; make sure the sides are even using a level.
- Place curtains on the rod, then hang curtains.