Glowing Galaxy Wall Art
Mimic the night sky with this constellation-inspired artwork featuring sparkling string lights.
Shoot for the stars with your next DIY project. Turn a basic canvas into a glowing masterpiece inspired by the night sky with the help of navy paint, white markers, and string lights. We chose Orion for our wall art, but you can opt for any constellation of your liking. The Big Dipper makes an easy freehand version.
What You'll Need:
- Large canvas
- Battery-operated lights, 50 count
- Navy paint
- Foam brush
- Constellation printout, free download below
- Screw or sharp item to poke holes into canvas
- White paint markers in different tip sizes
- Kraft paper
- Masking tape
- Paint the canvas navy, and let dry.
- Lay the printed constellation template onto the canvas.
- Using the screw, poke holes a little smaller than the size of the lights into the canvas where the star points form the constellation.
- Remove the constellation template from canvas.
- Use white paint markers to draw the stars where you poked holes into the canvas.
- Draw lines connecting the stars.
- Draw random smaller stars around the constellation, creating a starry night sky.
- Poke a few more holes in a few of those random smaller stars for the string lights to shine through as well.
- Turn the canvas over, and pop the battery-operated string lights into the holes of the canvas.
- You may need to use masking tape to tape some of the remainin string light wire to the back of the canvas to keep it from moving.
- Turn lights on, and hang on wall to enjoy.