How to Marbleize a Jewelry Dish with Clay
Modeling clay looks like beautiful marble when swirled and molded into this jewelry dish design. Make one to gift or keep -- and keep those baubles contained in style!
Modeling clay isn't just for kiddie crafts! Swirl a few colors together for an elegant marble-look dish perfect for corralling baubles, pocket change, sewing essentials, and small accessories. Choose three or four colors of clay -- we opted for a dark, a light, and a medium-color clay -- for a custom design all of your friends will want to copy.
What You'll Need
- Oven-bake clay: a large amount of white, then small packages of the accent colors; we used black, silver, and light pink
- Rolling pin
- Oven-safe bowl
- Crafts knife
- Glaze sealer with a gloss finish
- Paintbrush for sealer
- Gold paint
- Small detail paintbrush for gold paint
- Roll two large chunks of white clay into 5- to 6-inch "snakes."
- Roll a small portion of each accent color clay into a skinny snake.
- Combine all the rolls, twisting together like a candy cane. Repeat several times to evenly distribute colors.
- Roll into a ball shape, then use a rolling pin to flatten clay until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Gather into a ball, once again making sure you have a good amount of colors on top of the ball so it will show up in the swirl of the bowl and won't just be all white.
- Roll out once again to 1/4 inch thick. If you're happy with your marbleization, you can now cut your jewelry dish.
- Turn the oven-safe bowl upside down and use it as your template to cut your jewelry dish.
- Flip over the oven-safe bowl and place the now-cut clay circle into the bowl to bake. This will shape your dish.
- Bake according to directions on clay package. We baked ours at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool completely in the oven-safe bowl before removing it.
- Once the bowl is cooled, seal with the clay sealer following the directions on package. Allow to dry.
- Use gold paint to paint the outer edge of your jewelry dish. Allow it to dry before using.