continue reading below
How to Make the Curtain
- To get your cutting measurements, divide the finished length of your curtain into thirds, measuring from the shower bar to within 1 to 2 inches of the floor.
- Cut and piece fabrics together, using a full width and a half width of fabric on the top and bottom bands and a full width and two quarter widths for the center band.
- Make bias tape that finishes at 1/2-inch width for all the intersections.
- Line the shower curtain with cotton drapery lining and install grommets across the header.
How to Make the Pom-Poms
- Cut a sturdy piece of cardboard 1 1/4 x 4 inches.
- Holding the end of the bulky-weight yarn against the cardboard, wrap the yarn around the cardboard 100 times, working your way up and down about 3 inches of the cardboard strip and keeping the yarn taut. Insert a 6-inch length of yarn along one edge of the cardboard and tie it, pulling in the wrapped yarn as tightly as possible without bending the cardboard.
- Do not tie a knot, but hold the tie firmly. At the same time, use small scissors to cut along the opposite edge. Cut a small amount at a time, tightening the tie as you work.
- Once you complete the cut, firmly tie and knot the long strand. Then trim everything to the same length and fluff your pom-pom. Although the first one you make may take a bit of time, once you master the technique, they're quick (and addictive).