Fancy Beaded Lampshade
Give a splash of color to any room with a felt-covered lampshade trimmed with glistening beads.
- 4-inch adhesive lampshade
- Aqua and pink threads
- Aqua glass rocaille E beads
- Pink glass rocaille E beads
- 6 mm round turquoise beads
- Light yellow felt
- Sharp scissors
1. Make a pencil mark every 2 inches on the bottom edge of the shade. Using aqua thread, insert the needle through the back of the shade slightly above one of the pencil marks. String on 25 aqua beads and insert needle through the shade slightly above the next mark. Pull the thread so beads snug up to the bottom edge of the shade. Wrap thread under edge of shade and insert needle back through the same hole in the shade to secure. Continue threading aqua beads in this manner around shade.
2. With pencil, mark center points between the two ends of the turquoise loops.
3. Thread needle with pink thread. Insert needle through shade from back slightly above one of the pencil marks. String on 11 pink beads, a large turquoise bead, and 11 more pink beads. Insert needle back through the shade slightly above the next pencil mark and secure as for the aqua beads. Repeat around shade.
4. Using the pattern that came with lampshade, cut a shade cover from the yellow felt. Sew aqua beads onto the shade at regular intervals from the center of the shade down.
5. Remove protective paper from the shade. Press the felt into the adhesive around shade.
6. With the pencil, make marks at 2-inch intervals around the top edge.
7. With aqua thread, poke up from the back of shade near the top at one of the marks. String on 25 aqua beads and sew back through at the next mark. Secure thread and repeat to make the loops around the top of the shade.
8. With pink thread, insert needle from the back between the aqua loops. String on 10 pink beads, 1 turquoise bead, and 10 more pink beads. Insert needle back through the shade next to where the strand started. Secure thread and cut. Repeat between the remaining aqua loops.