DIY Wine Bottle Stand
Put your own twist on this do-it-yourself wine stand.
What You Need:
- Tape rule
- Miter saw
- Drill with 1-1/2-inch hole saw or Forstner bit
- Sandpaper (medium and fine-grain)
- 3/4-inch hardwood cut to 3-1/2 X 15 inches
- Oil finish, stain, or paint (we decorated the edges of our stands)
1. To mark the correct angle for the base, measure 14-1/8 inches from one end. Using the straightedge and pencil, draw a horizontal line across the face of the board. Flip the wood over and draw another horizontal line 13-3/4 inches from the end. Then turn the project on its side and connect the two horizontal lines.
2. Use a power miter saw (chop saw) to cut the marked angle as shown. This angle must be exact in order for the wine bottle to balance.
3. Opposite the angled edge, draw a small horizontal line in the center of the wood 3-1/8 inches from the top. Then mark a small vertical line 1-3/4 inches from either side to create a crosshair.
4. Use the drill and 1-1/2-inch bit to carve a hole, aligning the bit with the crosshair. To avoid damage to your work piece, you may want to clamp a piece of scrap wood under the project for this step.
5. Use the medium-grain sandpaper to smooth around the hole and other rough edges. Then go over the piece with the fine-grain sandpaper. After sanding, paint, stain, or oil the stand as you please.