Perk Up Any Room with a DIY Pom-Pom Rug
Create a plush and colorful rug using just yarn and a carpet pad.
Treat your feet to a cozy pom-pom rug. Two dining room chairs or a spare bench make it easy to create a big batch of pom-poms. We chose various shades of a single color for the pom-poms on our rug to create a pretty monochromatic look, but you can mix and match yarns to fit your style.
What You Need
- Skeins of yarn in desired colors (the amount will depend on the area of your rug; ours took 7 total)
- Carpet pad
- Bench or two chairs
- To create bulk pom-poms, use a bench or chair that has wide legs. Tie yarn to one leg, then start wrapping the yarn around the two widest legs, back and forth. Use the entire skein of yarn (unless you've purchased bulk skeins of yarn) to create thick pom-poms.
- Use a contrasting yarn to tie portions. This will hold the pom-poms together. Once you've finished tying the portions, remove the skein from the legs, and use scissors to cut the pom-poms apart from each other. If needed, shape the poms-poms by cutting away uneven strings.
- Cut the carpet pad to your desired rug size.
- Draw the two center pom-pom strings through the carpet pad and tie on back. Fill the pad up with more pom-poms to finish.