Just follow the lines using one easy stitch to create vintage-style branches.
This branch pattern is enlarged and angled around a corner to suit the pillow's shape, then sewn with a stem stitch. The stem stitch offers a stronger profile than a backstitch. Clusters of beads add pretty detailing.
[button-pdf id="550598" title="Download branch-and-leaf pattern" /]
- DMC perle cotton #5, 1 skein #3042
- Mill Hill Glass Seed Beads #02085
- DMC Linea Needles #22
- Beading needle
- Solid-color pillow
Remove pillow form, and lay pillow top flat. Copy the Leaf Branch pattern to the desired size. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for the transfer paper.
Position two Leaf Branch designs on the bottom left corner of the pillow top, tape in place, and transfer the designs to the fabric.
Using one strand of perle cotton, follow the pattern using a stem stitch (see images). Add a stem-stitched line 1/4 inch from the outside edge. Sew clusters of seed beads along the branches.
- Pick a pattern you love. Apply your creativity to a standard pattern to stitch a one-of-a-kind look. For example, enlarge a pattern and use it in the center of a pillow; reduce it and use a small portion on the edge of a sheet. Consider using just three leaves and a branch on the edge of a napkin.
- Start with easy stitches. We used a stem stitch in this project, which is easy to learn.
- Keep materials in mind. Fabrics such as cotton, wool, or wool blends provide the perfect canvas for the DMC perle cotton used on these projects. The extra thickness of the perle cotton highlights the simple lines of the designs.