Choose a mix of your favorite fabrics, pile on the petals, and watch your garden grow -- dozens of fanciful pincushions could sprout up over a weekend.
Finished Pincushion: 6 X 6 X 3" Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. From multicolor print, cut: -- 8 of Pattern A -- 1 of Pattern D From orange floral, cut: -- 16 of Pattern B From magenta polka dot, cut: -- 1 of Pattern C From heavy interfacing, cut: -- 1 of Pattern C
2. Join two orange floral B pieces, leaving short edge open for turning (Diagram 2). Turn right side out. Press to make a petal. Repeat to make eight petals total.
3. Matching center marks at raw edges, pin petals to outside of pincushion side; baste (Diagram 3).
4. Sew together ends of pincushion side to make a circle, leaving an opening for stuffing (Diagram 4).
5. Matching dots, baste magenta polka-dot C circle to top edge of pincushion side (Diagram 5). Join together 1/4" from edge. Clip seams; turn to right side.
Stuff lightly with fiberfill until pincushion stands on its own.
6. Baste small gathering stitches 1/8" from edges of multicolor print D circle. Center interfacing C circle on wrong side of D circle; pull gathers tight, wrapping D circle around interfacing, to make pincushion base (Diagram 6). Secure thread. Press.
7. Hand-sew pincushion base to bottom opening.
8. Stuff firmly with fiberfill. Hand-sew side opening closed to complete pincushion.