Look to the stars as inspiration for your next embroidery project. Our free downloadable stencils make it easy to print, trace, and embroider your personalized zodiac sign. Choose an astrological sign that reflects your birth date, or embroider all 12 starry stencils and hang as a gallery wall. The sky's the limit!
What You'll Need:
- Navy cotton fabric
- Embroidery hoop
- White embroidery thread of various widths
- Embroidery needle
- Small white sequins
- Zodiac stencil (free download below)
- Transfer paper and roller
- Download and print out template.
- Cut fabric to size, a few inches larger than embroidery hoop.
- Transfer template to fabric using transfer paper and roller or pen.
- Place fabric into hoop.
- Cut a length of thread, and thread needle and tie knot at end.
- Begin embroidering zodiac sign at one of the star points. Bring the needle up through the fabric and place a sequin by passing needle and thread through the center of the sequin.
- As you draw the thread back down through the center of the sequin, you will want to make a French knot to keep it in place.
- Pull thread taut, wrap it around the needle two times, and draw the needle back down through the sequin and fabric to the back side of the embroidery hoop.
- Follow the traced pattern with the embroidery thread, and continue adding sequins where the stars are located.
- Tie the thread off at the back the the embroidery hoop once you finish constellation.
- Add extra surrounding stars, if desired.
- Use a new piece of embroidery thread that you have separated to one or two strands and thread the needle, tying a knot once at end of thread.
- Create tiny stars randomly by making little asterisk shapes.