Dancing stars and running black-and-white checks take lively turns around this contemporary Christmas design.
2. Center and stitch the design from the chart on the Aida-cloth fabric. Separate the six-strand embroidery floss, and use three strands to work the stitches over one square of the fabric.
3. Press the finished stitchery from the back using a warm iron and a damp cloth. Center and trim the design to measure 6 1/2 inches square.
4. From the red fabric, cut a 9-inch square pillow back and enough 1-1/2-inch-wide bias strips to piece a 31-inch piping strip.
Note: The following piecing instructions are written for someone using a rotary cutter, ruler, and mat, but you can use scissors to cut 1-1/2-inch-wide strips. All of the measurements include 1/4 inch for seam allowances.
5. Using a rotary cutter, cut one 1-1/2-x-24-inch strip each from the black and white fabrics. Sew the strips together lengthwise.
6. Cut the joined strip into three 6-inch sections and one 3-inch section (discard the excess fabric). Alternating the colors, sew the 6-inch sections together lengthwise; then stitch the 3-inch section to the pieced fabric, with the bottom raw edges even. Using the rotary cutter, cut the pieced fabric into 1-1/2-inch-wide segments (you'll have two six-section pieces and two eight-section pieces).
7. Sew a six-section strip to each side of the pillow front. Press the seams toward the pillow front. Sew an eight-section strip to the top and bottom of the pillow front. Press the seams toward the pillow front. Following the manufacturer's instructions, fuse the fleece to the back of the pieced pillow top.
8. Center the cording lengthwise on the wrong side of the piping strip. Fold the fabric over the cording, with the long edges together. Using a zipper foot, sew close to the cording through all layers. Sew the piping around the perimeter of the pillow front, with the raw edges even. Sew the pillow front and back together with right sides facing, leaving an opening for turning. Trim the seams, clip the corners, and turn right side out. Press the pillow carefully. Firmly stuff the pillow with polyester fiberfill, and then slip-stitch the opening closed.
Pillow is approximately 8 1/2 inches square.
Better Homes & Gardens Creative Collection Publications Cross-Stitch Christmas
Time to start checking your holiday gift list! Number one: Treat yourself to the brand-new Cross-Stitch Christmas!
Unwrap this issue to find a collection of 42 exclusive designs, quick-to-stitch ornaments, Santas, stockings, snowmen, and Nativities -- all your holiday favorites! In addition, both novice and experienced stitchers will benefit from the helpful finishing ideas and great tips!
Get an early start on your Christmas stitching! Pick up a copy of Cross-Stitch Christmas at your favorite newsstand, or call 1-888-547-2147 to order!
Featured in this issue: