What You Need:These homemade blocks are perfect for any child's playroom.
- 1/2 yard each of heavyweight cotton in three colors
- 1/2 yard each of heavyweight felt in six colors
- 5 x 45 x 24-inch piece of high-density upholstery foam
- Heavy-duty spray adhesive
- 1-1/2 yard of polyester batting
- Upholstery or carpet thread
- Hand-sewing needle
Quantities specified for 58/60-inch-wide fabrics. All measurements include 1/2-inch seam allowances unless otherwise noted. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
1. Download the free diagram for this project (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
2. To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows. Use a computer and a photocopier to print 11-inch-tall block letters and numbers for patterns.
3. From each color of heavyweight cotton, cut 2 16-inch squares for background.
4. From each color of heavyweight felt, cut (use a different color for each):
- letter "A"
- letter "B"
- letter "C"
- number "1"
- number "2"
- number "3"
1. Cut three 15-inch squares from the upholstery foam. Using spray adhesive to glue the pieces together, stack the squares to form a 15-inch block. Always use spray adhesive in a well-ventilated area.
2. Cut six 15-inch squares from polyester batting. Use spray adhesive to adhere the squares to each side of the foam block.
Assemble the Block
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay the corresponding letters and numbers atop the appropriate background squares as indicated. Topstitch the shapes to the background squares using contrasting thread and a wide zigzag stitch on your sewing machine.
2. Referring to diagram 2, lay the completed panels out to make a box unit. Leave one panel unattached. Sew the side edges of the box unit together to form a box with one open side. Sew the unattached panel to one open box edge to make a flap.
3. Slide the box over the foam block through the open flap. Using upholstery or carpet thread and a hand-sewing needle, slipstitch the three remaining flap sides closed.
Better Homes & Gardens Creative Collection Simply Creative Sewing®
Looking for your next sewing project? Simply Creative Sewing is for you! With 76 new and creative ideas, you'll find a variety of projects for every room in your home -- from a contemporary bathroom ensemble to a cottage-fresh kitchen details to fun, stackable shapes that your kids will love in the playroom!
Available now at your favorite newsstand, or call 1-800-688-6611 to order your copy!
Featured in this issue:
Skirt Solutions -- Spruce up a purchased bed skirt with six easy embellishments!
Pamper Your Family -- Indulge your family and guests with these luxurious touches!
The Artfully Arranged Bed -- Give your bedding a stylish boost with these pillow-arranging options!
Unraveling Thread Types -- Ensure your sewing success by choosing the right thread to fit the job!
Made Especially For You -- Use out-of-the ordinary supplies to create these clever gifts!