Large, 4-1/2 inches; small, 3-3/4 inches
To felt wool, machine-wash it in hot-water-wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry on high heat and steam-press.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up. With a pencil, trace around each large and small star and heart pattern once, leaving 1/2 inch between tracings. Cut out each shape roughly 1/4 inch outside the traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer's instructions, press the fusible-web shapes onto the wrong side of the cream wool; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
3. From the remaining cream wool, cut one large star and one small star patterns.
Tip: When selecting fusible web for this project, be sure it is lightweight, paper-backed, and can be stitched through. (Some fusible webs are too heavy to sew through.)
4. Referring to Diagram 1 (download diagram below), use three strands of silver embroider floss to featherstitch the wool large star without fusible web from each tip to the center.
5. To featherstitch (download diagram below), pull needle up at A, form a V shape with floss, and hold angle in place with your thumb. Push needle down at B, about 3/8 inch from A, and come up at C. For the next stitch, insert needle at D and bring it out at E; continue in the same manner until finished.
6. Referring to Diagram 2 (download diagram below), fuse the large heart to the center of the featherstitched star. Using three strands of white embroidery floss, blanket-stitch around the heart.
7. To blanket-stitch (download diagram below), pull needle up at A, form a reverse L shape with floss, and hold angle in place with your thumb. Push needle down at B and come up at C to secure stitch. Continue in same manner.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the small star and heart pieces.
9. Referring to the photograph, attach pearl beads and crystal accents to embellish the stars.
10. Lay each embellished star on its corresponding-size wool star, with the fusible web inside. Place the embellished side facedown on a well-padded surface and cover with a pressing paper or cloth; fuse the wool pieces together, following the manufacturer's instructions.
11. Using three strands of white embroider floss, blanket-stitch around the outer edges of the stars to complete the ornament.