- 8 x 10 x 4 inches
- Quantities are for 44/45-inch-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
- Measurements include 1/4-inch seam allowances.
- Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Your Fabrics
Cut pieces in the following order.
From blue print, cut:
2 4-x-34-1/2-inch strips
From blue-and-green print, cut:
2 14-1/2-x-16-1/2-inch rectangles
From green print, cut:
2 14-1/2-x-20-1/2-inch rectangles
- Fold a blue print 4-x-34-1/2-inch strip in half lengthwise with wrong side inside; press.
- Open and fold long edges into center; press. Refold in half and press. Topstitch 1/8 inch from outer edges to make a strap.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a second strap.
Assemble Bag Units
- Fold one blue-and-green print 14-1/2-x-16-1/2-inch rectangle in half lengthwise with wrong side inside to make an 8-1/4-x-14-1/2-inch pocket rectangle; press. Repeat with remaining blue-and-green print rectangle to make a second pocket rectangle.
- Referring to Diagram 2, with right sides together, layer a green print 14-1/2-x-20-1/2-inch lining rectangle and a pocket rectangle. Place a 10-1/4-x-14-1/2-inch batting rectangle under the layered pieces; pin all layers together.
- Referring to Diagram 2, pin ends of a strap to the bottom edge of layered pieces, leaving 4 inches between strap edges.
- Place a pin on each side of strap 10 1/4 inches from bottom edge. Beginning at bottom edge of layered pieces, topstitch one side of strap up to the pin marking 10 1/4 inches; remove pin, sew across strap, and topstitch back down to bottom edge. Repeat with remaining side of strap to complete one bag unit.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 to make a second bag unit.
7. To shape flat bottom for bag, at one corner match bottom seam line to side seam line, creating a flattened triangle (Diagram 4). Measuring 2 inches from point of triangle, draw a 4-inch-long line across triangle. Sew on drawn line. Trim excess fabric. Repeat with remaining bottom corner of bag, and both corners of green print lining.
8. Turn bag right side out through opening and finger-press seams. Slip-stitch lining opening closed. Insert lining into bag.