What you'll need:
- Tracing paper
- 14x30-inch piece of bright pink felt
- Felt in red, orange, purple, light blue, and yellow
- Embroidery floss in red, yellow, blue, and green
- Yarn in red, blue, yellow, and green
- Hand-sewing needle
- 14x31-inch piece of lining fabric
- Sewing machine and thread
- Two 4-1/2x20-inch pieces of fabric for handles
- Two 3-1/2x20-inch pieces of orange felt for handles
continue reading below
Download free sewing patterns, below.
- Trace the patterns; cut out. Use the patterns to cut flower and leaf pieces from felt.
- Using red embroidery floss, tack one end of red yarn off-center in the orange oval. Wind the yarn into a circle and tack down with long spoke like stitches extending from the center to the outer edges of yarn. Repeat with the blue floss, blue yarn, and light blue oval. Add French knots as desired to the flower centers. Use scissors to fringe the two stitched ovals.
- Stitch the orange oval to the red oval using red floss and running stitches. Attach the light blue oval to the purple oval using blue floss.
- Fold the bring pink felt piece in half crosswise. Use blanket stitches and blue floss to join the pairs of long edges to create the tote.
- From bright green felt, cut an 8x3/4-inch-long stem. From dark green felt, cut a 6x3/4-inch-long stem. Referring to the photo, use running stitches and yellow embroidery floss to stitch stems and leaf to tote front. Tack down yellow yarn in the center of the bright green stem and leaf. Use green floss to tack down green yarn in center of dark green stem. Use yellow floss and running stitches to secure the flowers atop the stems.
- Fold two 4 1/2x20-inch fabric strips in half lengthwise; press. Center each folded strip on top of a 3 1/4x20-inch orange felt strip, fold the felt edges to the front to cover the raw edges of your fabric. Join using running stitches and yellow floss.
- Fold lining fabric in half crosswise with right sides together. Machine-stitch the pairs of long edges together using 1/4-inch seam allowances. Fold 1/2 inch of raw edge over so wrong side is inside; press. Insert lining into the tote. Pin lining and tote together around the open edge, inserting handle ends between the tote and the lining. Blanket-stitch layers together.