continue reading below
How to Make it
- Cut one 60-degree triangle pattern for the gores (sections) based on the triangle in Diagram 1 but make the triangle about 36 inches tall.
- From three yards each of two prints, cut six triangles total.
- Using a compass, draw a 15- to 18-inch-diameter circle in center of skirt using a compass.
- Draw a line along outer edge of skirt, measuring the distance between the edge of the marked center circle and the outer edge (skirt bottom) to equal desired finished length less 2 inches.
- Cut out circle for waist opening, and cut along marked skirt bottom line.
- Remove stitching in one seam at waist opening and sew in a side zipper.
- Add a 1-1/2-inch-wide finished waistband at center circle, leaving an opening for inserting 1-inch-wide elastic.
- Try on, adjusting elastic to fit, and sew waistband closed.
- Cut and sew together 4-1/2-x-42-inch skirt trim strips to equal circumference of bottom edge of skirt. Stitch long edge and fold over to bottom edge of skirt.
- Press seam toward trim; topstitch through all layers.
Our long-length skirt is made from three prints from Sofia, a cotton lawn fabric collection by Robert Kaufman Co.