continue reading below
11 X 14"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide fabrics.
Measurements include 1/2" seam allowances.
Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut Your Fabrics
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted batik scraps, cut:
- 7 -- 3 X 17" strips
From orange batik, cut:
- 1-- 15 X 26" rectangle
- 1 -- 9-1¿2 X 15" rectangle
From mottled deep rose, cut:
- 1 -- 15 X 21" rectangle
From flannel, cut:
- 1 -- 13 X 15" rectangle
- 1 -- 11 X 15" rectangle
- 1 -- 9 X 15 rectangle
Assemble Strip-Pieced Pocket
- Cut assorted batik 3 X 17" strips into uneven strips. Our strips measure 1-7/8" wide at one end, 2-1/2" to 3" wide at opposite end.
- Sew strips together into a pieced rectangle (Diagram 1). Trim pieced rectangle to 9-1/2 X 15" including seam allowances.
- Join pieced rectangle and orange batik 9-1/2 X 15" rectangle along one long edge. Turn to right side. Press. Insert flannel 9 X 15" rectangle between folded fabric layers. Topstitch 1/4" from folded edge to secure flannel. Topstitch pieced strips. Trim flannel even with fabric edges to make pocket.
- Fold and press mottled deep rose 15 X 21" rectangle in half, making a 15 X 101¿2" rectangle. Place closed zipper inside folded mottled deep rose rectangle, allowing ends of zipper to extend beyond fabric (Diagram 2). Pin zipper in place, aligning one edge of zipper tape along fold.
- Sew 1/4" to 3/8" from fold to secure zipper.
Note: The closer you sew to the zipper, the less of it will show on the finished project. Be careful not to sew too close to zipper teeth so the fabric won't catch in the zipper.
- Open folded rectangle and fold wrong sides together to expose zipper as shown in Diagram 3.
- Fold and press orange batik 15 X 26" rectangle in half to make a 15 X 13" rectangle. Place zipper unit inside orange batik rectangle, aligning remaining zipper tape edge along fold (Diagram 4). Pin in place and sew along fold as previously done. Open folded rectangle and fold it, wrong sides together, to expose zipper.
- Insert flannel 13 X 15" rectangle between orange batik layers. Topstitch 1/4" from folded edge to hold flannel in place. Insert flannel 11 X 15" rectangle between mottled deep rose layers. Topstitch to make zippered unit (Diagram 5).
- Quilt as desired. Trim flannel even with fabric edges.
- Place pocket on mottled deep rose section of zippered unit, aligning bottom edges (Diagram 6). Baste in place by hand or machine.
- Fold zippered unit in half, matching raw edges; pin in place. Sew together side edge with zipper tail and across bottom of unit (Diagram 7). Do NOT sew side with zipper tab. (If you have a serger you can serge the side and bottom seam and trim the zipper -- all in one step.)
- Open zipper, moving tab to tail end inside Step 8 unit. Sew or serge remaining side edge (Diagram 8). Trim seams, including excess zipper tape, with pinking shears, or zigzag-stitch edges to prevent fabric fraying. Turn portfolio right side out and press. Attach zipper pull.