Designer Shelley Robson's quick stitch-and-flip method uses lots of different red fabrics across this mouthwatering table runner. Just place one strip on top of another, stitch, and continue adding more strips until the layers are covered. Add seeds and borders and you're ready to set the table. To order a kit of similar fabrics (all fabrics for quilt top, buttons, backing, and binding), send $29.50 ppd. to The Quilted Forest, 109 N. Clark, Forest City, IA 50436; 641-585-2438; www.thequiltedforest.com.
8 1/8-yard pieces assorted red prints (table runner top) 1/8 yard solid red (binding) 1/4 yard solid white (piping) 1/4 yard green print (binding) 3/8 yard backing fabric 17 x 34 inches thin quilt batting 11 3/4-inch-long black heart-shape buttons Quilt basting spray (optional)
Finished Table Runner: 11 x 28 inches Quantities are for 44/45-inch- wide, 100% cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the following order.
From each assorted red print, cut: 2 1-1/2-x-42-inch strips
From solid red, cut: 1 2-1/2-x-42-inch binding strip
From solid white, cut: Enough 1-inch-wide bias strips to total 50 inches in length for piping
From green print, cut: Enough 1-1/4-inch-wide bias strips to total 50 inches in length for binding
From each of backing fabric and lightweight quilt batting, cut: Cut the half circle shape of a watermelon.
1. Lay backing fabric A piece on your work surface with right side down. Place batting A piece on top. If desired, use quilt basting spray to secure layers together.
2. With right side up, place a red print 1-1/2-x-42-inch strip across the middle of the layered A pieces; one strip end should extend just beyond top of layered A pieces. Trim excess red print strip just beyond bottom edge (Diagram 1).
3. With right side down, place a second red print 1-1/2-x-42-inch strip atop first strip; trim excess strip as before. Sew together through all layers (Diagram 2). Finger-press top strip open.
4. Continue adding assorted red print strips in both directions until layered A pieces are covered; press.
5. Center the B template on the strip-covered A piece; trace around and cut out to make table runner (Diagram 3).