Cut Your Fabrics
- 2 -- 5" circles
- 2 -- 6" circles
- 2 -- 7" circle
From felt scraps, cut:
- 1 -- 3" circle
- 1 -- 4" circle
- 1 -- 5" circle
Make the Pincushion
- Sew each set of decorator fabric matching circles together, leaving an opening for turning; turn.
- Fill the circles with polyester fiberfill and plastic pellets; hand-sew each opening closed.
- Place the 3" felt circle on the bottom of the small pincushion.
- Tuft the pincushion by using a hand-sewing needle and coordinating embroidery floss to sew down through the center top through the cushion center and through the felt. Leave an 8" tail of floss at the top.
- Bring the floss around the side of the cushion to the center of the cushion top. Pull the floss tight to make a tuft around the side of the pincushion.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to create a tuft directly opposite the first. Repeat around the entire cushion, each time pulling the floss tight, tying the tail, and shaping the cushion as desired.
- Repeat using the 4" felt circle on the medium pincushion and the 5" felt circle on the large pincushion.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions to cover the buttons with extra fabric. Sew a button to the center top of each pincushion
Embroider the Pincushions
Using coordinating embroidery floss, add featherstitches to the sides of the small and medium pincushions and lazy daisy stitches to the side of the large pincushion. If desired, finish the lazy daisy stitches with a French knot in the center.