1/2 yard total assorted brown and tan batiks (bag body)
1/2 yard total assorted teal and blue batiks (bag body)
1/4 yard brown-and-turquoise batik (bag band, straps)
5/8 yard dark brown batik (bag and strap lining)
7/8 yard of 22"-wide heavyweight fusible interfacing
Finished bag: 8x13-1/2x4"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted brown and tan batiks, cut:
From assorted teal and blue batiks, cut:
From brown-and-turquoise batik, cut:
From dark brown batik, cut:
From interfacing, cut:
4. Referring to Diagram 5, continue adding assorted batik strips to pieced unit in counterclockwise order, pressing all seams away from center, to make a Log Cabin block. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances. Sew a teal or blue batik 1-1/2x12-1/2" strip to bottom edge of Log Cabin block; press seam toward strip. The block should now be 12-1/2x13-1/2" including seam allowances
Assemble Bag Body and Straps
1. Fuse an interfacing 12-1/2x13-1/2" rectangle to wrong side of each Log Cabin block. Then fuse an interfacing 3x12-1/2" rectangle to wrong side of each brown-and-turquoise batik 3x12-1/2" rectangle.
2. Referring to Diagram 7, sew together a fused Log Cabin block and a fused brown-and-turquoise batik rectangle; press seam toward brown-and-turquoise rectangle. Topstitch 1/8" above seam line to make bag front. Repeat to make a mirror-image bag back.
4. To shape a flat bottom for bag, at one corner match bottom seam line to side seam line, creating a flattened triangle (Diagram 9). Measure and mark on seam allowance 2" from point of triangle. Draw a 4"-long line across triangle, and sew on drawn line. Trim excess fabric. Repeat at remaining bottom corner. Turn bag body right side out.
5. Sew together dark brown batik 12-1/2x16" rectangles along both sets of long edges and one set of short edges, leaving a 4" opening in one long edge, to make bag lining. Do not turn bag lining right side out.
6. Repeat Step 4 to shape a flat bottom for lining.
7. Center a 1-1/2x22" interfacing strip on wrong side of a brown-and-turquoise batik 1-1/2x22" strip; fuse. Layer fused brown-and-turquoise batik strip with a dark brown batik 1-1/2x22" strip (Diagram 10). Stitch together strips' long edges; avoid catching interfacing in seams. Turn right side out and press flat; topstitch 1/8" from long edges to make a strap. Repeat to make a second strap.
Assemble Tote Bag
1. Insert bag body inside bag lining with right sides together; straps should be between bag and lining. Align raw edges and seams. Stitch together upper edges of bag body and lining, backstitching over each strap for reinforcement.
2. Turn bag and lining right side out through opening in lining; then pull lining out of bag. Machine-stitch opening of lining closed.
3. Insert lining back into bag and press upper edge. Topstitch 1/8" from upper edge to complete tote bag.